Monday, January 11, 2016

Holiday Weighty Blues

The season where cheat days become weeks and pounds come attacking at night as they sneak into the fat crevices of your body, aww the holidays. How they come and go, but leave you with a special gift of being 5 pounds heavier. Yup, that was my holiday week and I’ve paid severely for it. 

It first started off at work, company lunch where they had an endless amount of food. But I was brave, and was able to only eat the non carb items. Yet, I was to find out that was only the first wave of the food that were to come. Then all of a sudden as the days were to progress, customers were sending us baskets full of candies. 


I was like, “oh I’m fine” and I walked away. But the problem was that there were white chocolate candy there and I do like white chocolate. 


But I refused and walked on. However I couldn’t resist forever, because the baskets were placed in an area where I have to walk by, like all the time. So each time I passed by them I was taunted, mocked, like if it was the ring from Lord of the Rings


It was calling to me, and I could resist it no longer, Arrrggghhhh! Get them away from me! As I ran away. But the next time that I walked by them, my boss decides to say the most horrific thing to me he said, “would you like a chocolate? It’s for everyone.” And I looked at him with loathing in my eyes and said, “sure.” As I reached in the basket to pull out the bag of white chocolates and sat at my desk and took the first bite…….. I wept. White chocolates, you got me again. Arrggghhhhh, but they were so good, how could I be mad at them. After a few pieces I tried to put the bag down, but failed to not take another bite. It was hard, but then I realized what I had read before about sugar. It's like a drug.


It keeps calling me back. It gives you cravings and it makes it strong. I remember on Christmas day all my nieces and nephews were playing in the house and all of a sudden, one of my aunts pulls out a big bag of candy and says to the kids, “who wants candy?” 


And all the kids look up and see the bag and run to her yelling, “me, me, I want candy!” That’s how I felt having the bag with me.


I felt like I was powerless to it’s sweet goodness. So I thought that I play it safe, I left the bag on another co-worker's desk, and then he started to eat some. Then after awhile he started to realize that he was eating too much. So he ended up putting it on another co-worker's desk and the cycle kept repeating itself until it made its round back to me. What made it worse was that my co-workers kept bringing more and more candy and leaving it on each other's desk. Even though it was funny, in the end, we were all losers. But yeah, it’s true that you have to be careful with sugar. It doesn’t help you if you are trying to stay in ketosis. It gives you cravings and then that's when you fall into the trap and have the potential to lose your motivation and that’s when you fall off the wagon. And because of that this is the result of my holiday week.


As you can see, I have gained weight around the holidays, but the good thing is that it only took me 3 days to bounce back. Both Christmas and New year's slowed my weight loss, but I’m glad that I’m back on track. Jason helped put some perspective on my matter as I was a little bummed that I gained some weight. He reminded me that I am barely on my second month and that the weight that I have already lost was a great feat in itself and he was right. Just yesterday I tried on our groomsmen suit that I was fitted for on November 14 (where I was 235 lbs). The conclusion was that the suit was too big and I had to exchange it for a suit size smaller. But even that suit is a little loose on me and I still have a few more weeks to drop more weight (I am currently 213 lbs). So that helped bring back some perspective on the matter and gave me a boost to keep things going on this Keto train. 

As for foods, I have been eating pretty much the same things. Steak and eggs. Am I getting tired of it? Yes, I am, I am getting tired of it. But that’s okay, that let’s me explore new options. I have found that Lobster tails are only $5. And don’t forget about shrimp and fish. I think I’ll be alright. Just gotta keep at it. Here is to the New Year. I think Oprah said it best (yes, I said Oprah).



No comments:

Post a Comment