Friday, November 20, 2015

Ketogenic: New or Old?

The first thing people ask me when I tell them I'm living a ketogenic lifestyle... 

Insecure Husky person: "huh?"

Me: Well... I'm reducing my carbs...

Insecure Husky person : You're not fat!

Me: I'm doing it because it's healthy

Insecure Husky person: Isn't it just like Atkins or Paleo diet? Isn't that just a gimmick?

Me: Well.. I'm glad you asked. It's actually not new it's been around since after the flood. I believe God intended us to eat mostly meat and some vegetables. It was actually common knowledge back in the 1800's that carbs were bad for you but lost it's value when scientist began isolating the effect and not seeing the body as a whole unit.

Insecure Husky person: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZ

A French physician  and retired military surgeon name Jean-Francois Dancel made an astounding observation with the animal kingdom. He noted that carnivorous animals are never fat. and that only the herbivores were "so uncouth in form from its immense amount of fat, feeds wholly upon vegetable matter- rice millet, sugarcane,..."

Think about that... have you seen a obese tiger or jaguar? Yet we do see the hippopotamus, pandas, elephants...etc

A British doctor William Harvey, in 1856, said this 

“Knowing too that a saccharine [sweet] and farinaceous [starchy] diet is used to fatten certain animals and that in diabetes the whole of the fat of the body rapidly disappears, it occurred to me that excessive obesity might be allied to diabetes as to its cause, although widely diverse in its development; and that if a purely animal diet were useful in the latter disease, a combination of animal food with such vegetable diet as contained neither sugar nor starch, might serve to arrest the undue formation of fat.”


The research is overwhelming and to think I was eating unhealthy this whole time. I hope this gives people some insight on the authentic way of eating healthy.


Here are a couple quotations from my research to those interested.

In 1907, James French, in A Text-book of the Practice of Medicine says, “The overappropriation of nourishment seen in obesity is derived in part from the fat ingested with the food, but more particularly from the carbohydrates.”

In 1925, H. Gardiner-Hill of London’s St. Thomas’s Hospital Medical School describes his carbohydrate-restricted diet in The Lancet: “All forms of bread contain a large proportion of carbohydrate, varying from 45– 65 percent, and the percentage in toast may be as high as 60. It should thus be condemned.”

“Weight loss, fat loss, and percent weight loss as fat appeared to be inversely related to the level of carbohydrate in the diets,” Young reported. In other words, the fewer carbohydrates these men ate and the more fat, the more weight they lost and the more body fat they lost— exactly what Adiposity 101 would have predicted. What’s more, all of these carbohydrate-restricted diets, Young said, “gave excellent clinical results as measured by freedom from hunger, allaying of excessive fatigue, satisfactory weight loss, suitability for long term weight reduction and subsequent weight control.”

Books that I read:

Knife, Fork Muscle Book I - Brooks D. Kubik
Knife, Fork Muscle Book II
Knife, Fork Muscle Book III
Why we get fat and what to do about it - Gary Taubes
The art and science of low carbohydrate living - Jeff Volek & Stephen Phinney


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am not insecure!!! My fat is very secure, thank you very much! :0

    ReplyDelete