I was warned to beware of the “happy
weight” that comes with marriage. And I was not surprised by my
weight gain due to pregnancy and/or breastfeeding. Somewhere in
between marriage and pregnancy, I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic
ovary syndrome) and was told right away that being overweight is a
common trait for PCOS women since it's harder to shed weight due insulin resistance. I was like WHAT! I was doomed the moment I said “I do”
to Kevin! Lol.
For the month of November (and possibly
December) I've dedicated myself to eating healthier and losing
weight. I'm so thankful that I'm doing this thing with Ann and
Jainah! Omg. It makes the temptations so much more bearable. What am
I doing, specifically? Well, I'm mixing up 2 specific diets which
have worked with my body very well. One is juicing. I'll be drinking
juice for my dinners. And the other diet is very PCOS specific. It's
called the Low-Amylose diet. A lot of girls who have PCOS who have
trouble getting pregnant have been advised by reproductive
endocrinologists to try this before resorting to artificial means
like IVF. I was married to Kevin for two years and not once did we
get a positive pregnancy test until I decided to try this diet for a
few months (along with exercising---my preference is zumba!) While
doctors encouraged me to go on medication to boost my ovulation, I
decided to go with more natural means. I'm so thankful I did!
In October of 2013, I started doing the
Low-Amylose diet and exercised at least 3 times a week. By February
of 2014, I got my first ever positive pregnancy test! And the rest is
history!
...Except it's not really history.
Because this is the beginning of my darling family of 3, which we
hopefully one day want to become a family of 4, or 5...and for us to
get there, I'll need to get my body back in top shape for 2016! So
here we go!
Here are the rules for the Low-Amylose
diet:
NOT ALLOWED
- Roots and tubers including white and sweet potatoes, beets, peanuts, carrots, and undergroup veggies.
- Bananas.
- Wheat and wheat-based products including bread, pasta, cakes, and cookies.
- Rice.
- Oats.
- Barley.
- Rye.
- Foods with added sugar, sucrose, corn syrup, or maltodextrin.
ALLOWED
- Corn.
- Onions.
- Garlic.
- All vegetables that grow above the ground including lettuce, tomatoes, beans of all types, peas, cucumbers, and celery.
- All fruits except bananas.
- Meat, fish, and poultry.
- Condiments.
- Spices.
- Nuts.
- Sunflower, pumpkin, and squash seeds.
- Dairy & Eggs.
We'll see if this diet will help me get
back on track! I am 5 ft tall so I'm supposed to be 126 lbs at MOST
to be within my BMI. I'm overweight unfortunately so if I lose about
25-30 lbs I'd be so happy! But losing my weight is just as important
as maintaining that healthy weight, so it will have to be a lifestyle
change ultimately. And what's a better motivation than my family?
No comments:
Post a Comment